Awrighty, we finally have our very first Dreamer Event! As you can see, I am planning to have seasonal theme changes to our forum based on the four seasons! Anybody, even if you don't have any (digital) artistic skills or web/coding skills, can participate. I really do hope that we get a huge turnout as at the end of the event, we will be voting on the submissions we receive before the deadline. The ones with the most votes will have their submission chosen, change it to that theme, and (if I can figure this out eventually), have some sort of reward. (Hopefully, it doesn't involve money. )
So, let's begin!
THE GENERAL INFO
- What? WDC Summer 2017 Proposed Theme Creation
- Date to Start Today (5/17/17)
- Submissions Deadline July 3, 2017 (Extended date)
- Who can participate? Everybody regardless of skills.
- Because this will be a summer theme, be sure that all the graphics and the "feels" of your submission represents summer.
- Must be your original work/concept. Use whatever royalty-free images and graphics that you can use. Try to avoid anything "mainstream," such as a specific anime series or video game theme. If you are able to create your own graphics, that would be wonderful. If not, some sources will be provided in a later post here.
- If you are using clipart or a freebie image from any of those graphics shop sites, be sure to read the README or license file of the original creator to see how they want to be credited. Usually, if you purchased a set of graphics yourself, the original creator will not require you to credit them (still, read their README/license file).
- The background color will remain white or a light color that can easily complement the default text color.
- The default text color will remain black/dark gray.
- You can change the body font to something legible and cool through Google Fonts as an option. If you do suggest a new body font, please provide the name of the font or the URL of the font (so I can grab the CSS meta codes).
- You can also change the headings font to something legible and cool too as an option. For the time being, the current "spring" font uses the same font as the body font.
- You can also change the hero background image (currently we have a "cloud" background image) as an option.
- The navigation bar and the buttons will have a different color into something "summery." Any "inactive" buttons will have a lighter related color to complement the main solid color. You can provide the color of the inactive buttons as an option.
- The hero title box (the title box over the "cloud" hero background) will be opaque, but the color can be changed as an option. Currently, the hero title text is in white and the background opaque gray.
- You can change the font of the logo as an option.
- The logo must have the height of 54px. The length is open, as long as it is not over 300px.
- The scooter image will remain in the logo (see source links below).
FOR (DIGITAL) ARTISTS
Please download the screenshot of our current main theme below. Using Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, Inkscape, or whatever graphics program you're using, (try to) recreate a mockup of the theme.
When you are finished, submit your mockups by attaching them to your post in this thread.
FOR WEB DESIGNERS/DEVELOPERS
You can do the same above as the (digital) artists by recreating a mockup. But if you also feel generous, please edit/fill out the elements in the CSS/LESS file provided below.
When you are finished, submit your mockups by attaching them to your post in this thread. If you edited the provided CSS/LESS code, upload your code on GitHub Gist or CodePen and paste the URL to your code in your submission post.
FOR EVERYBODY ELSE
Create a list of the elements that you want in there. For example, you want the navigation bar and active buttons to be mint green (please provide the hex code to that particular color), the body text font as Verdana, the hero background image to be a beach, etc. etc. If you can, please provide examples of images that you would like in there by linking them to your list.
Submit your list by posting here in this thread.
This is a bit of a rush post, as it's late night here. Tomorrow, I'll provide the original images (namely the scooter on the logo) that you can use.
Questions? Just reply! Enjoy and good luck to everyone!
NOTE: Please DO NOT share this Dropbox link with anybody else outside this forum without permission. If you have any type of images/clipart that you may need, please reply to this thread and see if I can provide you from my own stash. For now, the scooter used for the forum logo is provided below.